Thing 4 – Blogging Begins with Reading

It seems that the blogger puts forth informed positions often derived from a passion. Responders, on the other hand, appear to be free to react more impulsively. The end result is positive.

I find myself scanning over the information much more quickly than I would had I had a book in my hands. This might result from the sense that there is just too much to go over at once. As well, I feel that I am reading opinions rather than research-based information. Opinions do matter, but with the wealth of information out there, I simply find no time to devote to too many of them.

Blogs, though, do represent a venue to explore one’s own ideas and to facilitate feedback to these. Two of the blogs listed in Thing 4, for instance, spoke directly to me.  http://817math.blogspot.com/2006/12/boeuns-scribe-for-december-4th.html gave me ideas on how to enrich information I have on edline for the students by transforming them into scribers – or translators – of what happens in the classroom. Edline is a useful instrument about a particular course for students. A blog would give additional information of what happens in the classroom on a given day. In addition, blogs present students the opportunity to have a voice. http://blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=133, though not of immediate application to me, was also helpful. In discussing the value of homework, it reminded me of the unreal reality (oxymoron?) I face with my students. These little eager honor students truly see homework as an opportunity to check their own learning, to verify their ability to apply what we started in the classroom. Reading the comments in this blog, I immediately started counting my blessings.

5 thoughts on “Thing 4 – Blogging Begins with Reading

1. Reading a blog leading to “counting your blessings” isn’t such a bad outcome 🙂

I’m glad you found the scribe post entry — I love that students really own the learning, take responsibility and also teach others — seems like a great formula for really digesting the content.

2. I don’t teach math and am always interested in how those who do approach a subject that is at once both straight-forward and complex. I imagine my daughter’s high school pre-calculus teacher could use this tool to enable students the opportunity to “write about the problem” — she suggests that they do this for at least one item in each homework assignment. My daughter resists this task but might be more enthused with the chance at actual dialogue and collaboration that blogging offers! (maybe I’ll make this suggestion).

3. Enjoyed reading your posts. Nice to find someone who can find the positive in all situations. I definitly found myself skim reading as you suggested in your post.

4. I picked your site to comment on because I like the title and I am a fellow math teacher. It also appears that we have some of the same thoughts. I read blogs in a similar manner and do not put a lot of stock into what I find compared to words on paper. I, too enjoyed the idea of a scribe and I hope to maybe one day use that format in my classroom. The link for my name will go to a blank blog, because I had SO much trouble with edublogs. I ended up using Blogspot, so here is the link if you are interested. http://afree34.blogspot.com/

5. I have to agree with you that it easier to quickly read over the information in a blog, rather than from a book.
    The blog is a good way to start discussions, but like you I know that it is probably more opinion than fact. That is why I liked Will Richardson’s and Vicki Davis’ blogs.
    I can see a use for the scribe post, but I thought the different color font was a little much, making it a little hard to read.